The NanoFx® (Nanofracture) offers a “Smaller, Deeper, Better” solution compared to a standard microfracture procedure. The instruments consist of a reusable Hand Instrument and a single use disposable PleuriStik™ for performing a microfracture procedure for the treatment of small localized articular cartilage defect sites. The 1mm PleuriStik™ disrupts less surface area than a standard microfracture technique and it was purposefully designed to reduce damage to the subchondral plate. It penetrates down to a standardized 9mm depth to reach the targeted marrow cells, three times deeper than comparable microfracture techniques. When tested against an awl or k-wire, NanoFx® resulted in thin, fragmented cancellous bone channels without rotational heat generation. It also demonstrated deep cancellous bone perforation with a higher number of open trabecular channels.
The NanoFx® handle is available with a 15° angle and as an A-Curve, which is specifically designed for hard to access Ankle Lesions.
- Disposable, always sharp Pleuristik™ with reusable targetinghandle is an easy to use cell delivery system
- Standardized 9mm perforation depth provides improved access to the targeted marrow cells
- The 1mm Pleuristick™ disrupts less surface area than a standard microfracture technique, reducing damage to the subchondral plate
- No secondary blood or marrow aspiration step required to access Mysenchymal cells
- No centrifuge or additional equipment necessary to prepare plasma or aspirate
- No extra time or staff required to prepare the patient or equipment for the case
- Demonstrates deep cancellous bone perforation with a high number of open trabecular channels
- Produces thin, fragmented, cancellous bone channels without rotational heat generation
- Compared to microfracture and k-wire stimulation, NanoFx® showed superior bone marrow access with multiple trabecular access channels extending 9mm into subchondral bone
Treatment using the Arthrosurface NanoFx® instruments will typically be accomplished as part of an arthroscopic or minimal access surgical procedure. No specific or unique surgical incisions are required. The Arthrosurface NanoFx® PleuriStik™ is first placed tip first into the proximal lumen of the Hand Instrument. Then, place the distal tip of the NanoFx® Hand Instrument at the target site, approximately 2 mm from the healthy cartilage wall. With a mallet, make multiple taps on the exposed proximal tailstock of the NanoFx® PleuriStik™, sufficient to drive the PleuriStik™ to the desired depth (9, 7, 5 mm). Remove the PleuriStik™ by pulling the Hand Instrument back (do not pull the needle). Then place the needle approximately 2mm from the previous channel so the distal tip sits on the surface. Repeat by making multiple taps with the mallet.
- Better cartilage fill and tissue quality with better pain relief
- Functional improvement and greater durability
- Reduced osteophyte formation (bone bumps): better pain relief and longer lasting
- Faster recovery (than Microfracture) through decreased trauma to the defect site