Will you be one of the millions of Americans traveling for the holidays this year? With about 1 in 5 adults in the United States diagnosed with arthritis, chances are that many will struggle with joint pain while traveling this holiday season. If you are traveling by plane, it’s recommended to book a nonstop flight to avoid walking long distances between gates. It is also helpful to check all your bags at the curb to avoid carrying them through the airport. As with any long distance travel, it is highly recommended to stand up and move around when you are able, especially if you suffer from arthritis & joint pain. Sitting for long periods of time can stiffen your joints and is also unhealthy for your heart. If you are driving a long distance, you might find it helpful to plan stops to take a short walk every so often. If you are unable to get up and move around, simple stretches while seated can also ease joint pain and stiffness.
Below are six great products that can make traveling with arthritis easier and more comfortable:
- Seat Belt Handle: This easily attaches to your existing seat belt strap allowing you grab and fasten your seatbelt with ease. There is also glow-in-the-dark version for easy use at night. $12.95 http://www.easierliving.com/the-easy-reach-seat-belt-handle.html
- Upeasy Lifting Cushion: A hydraulic design meant to help get you up on your feet from any surface or chair without the need for batteries or electricity. The cushion is only nine pounds making it easy to move from place to place. $119 http://www.spinlife.com/search.cfm
- Advantage Traveler: A convenient handle designed for comfortable transfer in and out of bed. The Advantage Traveler easily folds and stores for traveling and also comes with a 4-Pocket organizer, providing an excellent storage solution for favorite items. $75 http://www.easierliving.com/bed-rail-advantage-traveler.html
- Automobility Solution: Includes Handybar® and Swivel Seat Cushion to make entering and exiting car easier. Both items can be installed easily and without tools $66.67 http://www.easierliving.com/bed-rail-advantage-traveler.html
- Adjustable Travel Folding Cane: A fashionable cane that can fold up to fit in your briefcase, purse or backpack. It unfolds to support 250 pounds with push-button height adjustment from 33″ to 37″. Starting at $15.75 http://www.easierliving.com/adjustable-travel-folding-cane.html
- The Patient Pod: Perfect for traveling, the Patient Pod™ is total convenience, germ control and loss-prevention all in one. Pre-packed with hand sanitizer, sanitizing wipes, notepad and pen, germ-covers for TV remote — and plenty of room for phone, eyeglasses, photos, etc. Easy-clip attachment for plane seatback, bed, walker or wheelchair and doubles as message clip. $21.75 http://www.easierliving.com/the-patient-pod.html